While a rhyming dictionary is always a handy tool to have when writing poems, sometimes it’s also helpful to have lists of rhyming words that are all in the same category. These rhyming word lists focus on common categories to help you write poems more quickly and easily.
For example, if you are writing a poem that involves sports, it might be helpful to rhyme kickball with stickball or biking with hiking. If you were writing a poem about foods, you might want to rhyme beans with greens, sardines, or nectarines. And a poem about geographical locations might rhyme Alaska with Nebraska, Austin with Boston, or Bulgaria with Bavaria.
Here are a few rhyming word lists that I have created. I hope you will find them useful in your own poetry.
Rhyming Word Lists
- List of Rhyming Animals
- List of Rhyming Body Parts
- List of Rhyming Clothes and Fabrics
- List of Rhyming Foods
- List of Rhyming Interjections
- List of Rhyming Letters and Numbers
- List of Rhyming Musical Instruments and Terms
- List of Rhyming Names
- List of Rhyming Onomatopoeia
- List of Rhyming Places (Cities, States, Countries)
- List of Rhyming Sports and Games
- List of Words and Phrases that Rhyme with Themselves
More Rhyming Resources
If you need more rhymes than the ones on these lists, you may prefer to use a rhyming dictionary, such as rhymenow.com or rhymezone.com.
You will also find plenty of poetry writing lessons, including a video on how to rhyme, here on poetry4kids.com.